Do you love hearing a good story? Jesus’ ability to connect a story to a person’s heart is one reason people flocked to hear his teaching. Would you like to use Bible stories to communicate the story of Jesus to others? Then join us!
During the week you:
- Engage with God and are encouraged from God’s word
- Develop new relationships in the body of Christ
- Gain an understanding of oral Bible storying
- Use Bible stories in an outreach setting
- Acquire a new ministry skill in your “toolkit”
- Design a strategy to implement storying in your current ministry
- Explore how StoryRunners can partner with you
- Learn of staff, intern, & volunteer opportunities that StoryRunners offers in direct field ministry & support roles
A five-day intensive workshop that uses small teams to teach you how to develop and use oral Bible stories. Over the course of the week you will:
- Learn to develop Bible stories from an audio Scripture, using a six-step method to ensure the stories are Biblically accurate, orally reproducible, naturally told, and appropriate to the culture.
- Participate in and later lead Story Fellowship Groups, where you hear a story, learn a story, and discuss a story in a small group setting.
- Improve your skills as a storyteller.
Christians interested in learning and using oral Bible storying in their sphere of ministry or in exploring opportunities to work/volunteer with StoryRunners. Past participants include missionaries, Sunday school leaders, church leaders, mission agency leaders, pastors, youth ministry leaders, including people from the U.S., Canada, Latin America, Africa, Asia, and Europe.
- Summer 2017: Sunday, August 20 – Friday, August 25
- Winter 2018: Sunday, March 11 – Friday, March 16
Check-in Sunday from 1:45 p.m. – 3:30 p.m.
The Orlando School of Storying begins 4:00 p.m. Sunday and ends 2:45 p.m. Friday with an optional JESUS Film Recording Studio tour, 3:00 p.m. – 3:45 p.m. Because this training is built around small working groups, and the absence of any participant negatively affects the small group as well as impacts the entire training group, you must be able to participate in the entire week. In limited circumstances, the oSOS leadership will grant permission to arrive late on Sunday, to leave early on Friday or to miss a session.
StoryRunners hosts the Orlando School of Storying at the Wycliffe Activity Center located at 11455 John Wycliffe Blvd, Orlando, FL 32832 and at Cru’s Headquarters at Lake Hart, 100 Lake Hart Dr, Orlando, FL 32832.
Arrival: If you are flying, your flight should arrive at the Orlando International Airport (MCO) by 3:00 p.m. If you are driving, you should arrive by 3:30 p.m. at the Wycliffe Apartments, located at 11413 Translation Way, Orlando, FL 32832.
Departure: Your flight should depart no earlier than 5:00 p.m. If you want to take the JESUS Film Recording Studio Tour, your flight should depart at 6:00 p.m. or later.
This all-inclusive package of workshop, on-site lodging, 5 breakfast, 4 lunches, 4 dinners, snacks, and airport ground transfers is $495 per person. Commuter cost is $300 and includes workshop, 4 lunches, 4 dinners, and snacks. Lunch on the afternoon of outreach is on your own.
Three-bedroom apartments with two full baths. A married couple has a master bed/bath suite. Other participants each has his/her own twin-sized bed, sharing a bedroom with a same gender participant. Same gender participants are in each apartment, except if a married couple is in the master bed/bath suite.
- 2:00 p.m. – 3:30 p.m.: Airport pickups at Orlando International airport (MCO) and check-in
- 4:00 p.m. – 9:00 p.m.: Workshop session with dinner
Monday – Thursday
- 9:00 a.m. – 9:00 p.m.: Workshop sessions with meals and breaks
- 9:00 a.m. – 2:45 p.m.: Workshop session with lunch
- 3:00 p.m. – 3:45 p.m.: Optional JESUS Film tour
- 3:00 p.m. – 6:00 p.m.: Airport transportation
In order to provide a quality training experience for each individual, we accept only 18 people per session, and the sessions fill quickly, so apply now in order to secure your spot.
Questions? Find answers in the FAQs section. Don’t find an answer to your question? Ask us via the contact form below.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the Orlando School of Storying (oSOS)?
A five-day intensive workshop that uses small teams to teach you how to develop and use oral Bible stories.
When is the application deadline?
Because we accept only 18 participants for each session, we don’t set a deadline. If we accept your application but we have already accepted 18 participants for the session you want to attend, we will give you priority acceptance to a future training.
What is the registration cost? How do I pay?
Registration is $495 for on-site participants and includes the workshop, on-site lodging, meals, snacks, and airport ground transfers. Commuter cost of $300 includes the workshop, snacks, 4 lunches & 4 dinners. If you are accepted to the training, we will provide information about how to pay the registration fee.
Does registration cost include meals?
We provide meals (5 breakfasts, 4 lunches & 4 dinners), beverages, and snacks Sunday night-Friday lunch. One lunch and one dinner are on your own. We will try to accommodate medically necessary dietary needs, but you may need to bring/purchase any special food items you might need.
Where is the oSOS located?
On Sunday, Thursday-Friday, the sessions are held at Cru’s International Headquarters (100 Lake Hart Dr, Orlando, FL). On Monday-Wednesday, the sessions are in the Fania room of the Wycliffe Activity Center (11455 John Wycliffe Blvd, Orlando, FL). Thursday afternoon we have an off-site outreach.
When should I arrive and leave?
The first session begins Sunday evening at 4:00pm.
If you are commuting, arrive at Lake Hart (100 Lake Hart Dr, Orlando, FL) by 4:20 pm for registration.
If you are driving and staying at Wycliffe, arrive at Wycliffe 2:15p – 3:45p for registration. We’ll travel to Lake Hart together.
If you are flying, please fly into Orlando International Airport (MCO), arriving no later than 3:00 pm Sunday and departing no earlier than 5 pm Friday. If you want to participate in a Friday afternoon tour of the Jesus Film Recording Studio at Cru’s international headquarters, schedule your flight to depart 6 pm or later.
You may arrive after the training begins or depart before it ends or miss a session, only with approval.
Is transportation provided from the airport?
We will transport you from the Orlando International Airport (MCO) to the conference center, 2:00 – 3:30 pm, on Sunday. Transportation to the airport begins at 3 pm on Friday. If you are approved to arrive/depart outside of the normal hours, but if you arrive between 11pm-6am or depart 1am-9am, you will need to arrange your own shuttle.
NOTE: We don’t provide shuttle transportation from Sanford airport.
Are children allowed?
Children are allowed only in unavoidable situations and with prior permission from the oSOS leadership team.
What are the living accommodations?
Housing is located in the Wycliffe apartments at 11413 Translation Way, Orlando, FL 32832. Accommodations are comparable to a vacation condo with a functional kitchen, bed & bath linens, hairdryer, iron & ironing board, and washer & dryer.
Participants are housed in 2 and 3-bedroom apartments, each with 2 full baths. Married couples are assigned the master bed/bath suite. Other participants share a bedroom and bathroom with a same-gender participant, with each individual having a twin bed. Each apartment houses same-gender participants, except if a married couple is in the master suite.
What is the dress code?
Dress is casual (shorts or jeans are acceptable) except Thursday at Lake Hart, when dress is business casual. On Friday at Lake Hart, dress jeans are OK, no shorts. The temperature range for March is mid-40s to mid-70s with medium humidity. The temperature for August is mid-10s to low-90s with high humidity.
What materials do I need to bring?
- A light sweater/jacket if you get cold in air-conditioned rooms.
- A travel coffee/tea tumbler and a water bottle.
- Laptop, cell phone, and/or whatever electronic device(s) you use for communication and to complete an online document.
Anything else I need to know?
- There is a hot tub and an unheated swimming pool on the conference center grounds, but you’ll have limited free time.
- Wifi is available in both the apartments and the meeting rooms.