COVID-19 Update: The safety and well-being of our guests and staff is a top priority. Thank you for your patience as we navigate these unprecedented times. Please check back soon for the January registration.
Do you love hearing a good story? Jesus’ ability to connect a story to a person’s heart is one reason people flocked to hear his teaching. Would you like to use Bible stories to communicate the story of Jesus to others? Then join us!
You can expect to:
- Engage with God and be encouraged from God’s word
- Develop new relationships within the body of Christ
- Gain an understanding of oral Bible storying
- Use Bible stories in an outreach setting
- Acquire a new ministry skill in your “toolkit”
- Explore how StoryRunners can partner with you
- Meet with StoryRunners staff to discuss how to implement Bible storying to achieve your ministry goals
- Learn about staff, intern, and volunteer opportunities that StoryRunners offers in direct field ministry and support roles
This is a two-part intensive workshop. The first three days are focused on using stories in ministry (Orlando School of Storytelling). You then have the option to add on two more days to learn how to develop stories orally from a Biblical passage (Orlando School of Story Development).
By attending the first half, you will:
- Participate in a daily story group, where you hear a story, learn a story, and discuss a story in a small group setting.
- Improve your skills as a storyteller.
- Use stories in an outreach setting to transition to a spiritual conversation.
- Experience a “Story Festival,” to see and hear how the stories fit together into one seamless story.
If you decide to attend all five days, you will additionally:
- Learn to develop Bible stories from an audio Scripture, using a five-step method to ensure the stories are Biblically accurate, orally reproducible, naturally told, and appropriate to the culture.
- Learn more about StoryRunners’ international ministry and opportunities to partner with us.
- Have the opportunity to lead a story group.
Adult Christians interested in learning and using oral Bible storying in their sphere of ministry or in exploring opportunities to work/volunteer with StoryRunners. Past participants include missionaries, Sunday school leaders, church leaders, mission agency leaders, pastors, and youth ministry leaders, just to name a few!
- January 15-19, 2021
- Course 1 (Orlando School of Storytelling) Friday, January 15 – Sunday, January 17
- Course 2 (Orlando School of Story Development) Sunday, January 17 – Tuesday, January 19
- Note: Course 1 is a prerequisite for Course 2
Check-in for both courses is Friday from 1:00 p.m. – 2:30 p.m.
Course 1 begins 3:00 p.m. on Friday and ends at 1:00 p.m. on Sunday. Course 2 begins at 1:00 pm on Sunday and ends 1:00 p.m. on Tuesday. Because this training is built around small working groups, and the absence of any participant negatively affects the small group as well as impacts the entire training group, you must be able to participate in the entire training course for which you register.
StoryRunners hosts the Orlando School of Storying at Windsor at Westside in sunny Kissimmee, Florida.
Arrival: If you are flying, your flight should arrive at the Orlando International Airport (MCO) by 2:00 p.m. If you are driving, you should arrive by 2:30 p.m.
Departure: Your flight should depart no earlier than 3:30 p.m.
This all-inclusive workshop package of training and coaching includes on-site lodging, meals (except one), and airport ground transfers.
Prices start at $435 for both courses. Contact us for a reduced commuter price, or check out our registration link for prices to attend just one course.
Participants will be housed in 6- or 8-bedroom vacation homes (some with private baths and some with a shared bath). Married couples are assigned the master bed/bath suite. Other participants may share a bedroom and bathroom with a same-gender participant.
In order to provide a quality training experience for each individual, we accept only 18 people per session, and the sessions fill quickly, so apply now in order to secure your spot.
If you need to cancel for any reason up until 3 weeks before the event, a full refund will be given. Within 3 weeks of the training, a 50% refund will be given, or you can transfer your registration to someone else for a $25 fee.
Find answers in the FAQs section below. Don’t find an answer to your question? Ask us!
Frequently Asked Questions
When is the registration deadline?
Because we have a limited number of spots, we don’t set a deadline. If the training is full when you register, we will place your name on a wait-list.
What about food allergies?
We will try to accommodate medically necessary dietary needs, but you may need to bring/purchase any special food items you might need. With advance notice, we will arrange a trip to the grocery store to purchase items that you need.
Is transportation provided from the airport?
We will transport you from the Orlando International Airport (MCO) to the conference center, as long as your flight arrives during normal business hours.
NOTE: We don’t provide shuttle transportation from Sanford airport.
What are the living accommodations like?
Accommodations are comparable to a vacation condo with a functional kitchen, bed and bath linens, iron and ironing board, and washer and dryer. There are no toiletries or laundry supplies.
What is the dress code?
Dress is casual (shorts or jeans are acceptable). Bring a sweater or jacket if you get cold in air-conditioned rooms.
The temperature range in Orlando for August is highs in the 90’s and lows in the 70’s with very high humidity. January is mid-40s to lower-70s with medium humidity.
What materials do I need to bring?
- This is a conference in orality so there is no need to bring any paper materials!
- A travel coffee tumbler and a water bottle if you’d like.
Anything else I need to know?
- There is a swimming pool available. If you’d like to swim during your free time, bring a swimsuit and your own towel.
- Wifi is available.